Sunday, May 13, 2012

Breastfeeding is normal. This picture is not.






See article here: Time Magazine Cover Stirs Breastfeeding Controversy


I'm all for breastfeeding babies.  I fully support women who choose this for themselves and their children.  I support the practice in public, so long as the mother uses a reasonable amount of polite discretion.  I'll even support breastfeeding a child until fully weaned (about 3 years old).  But I don't think any of these were the true reason for Time's recent controversial magazine cover.

I think this cover was for one reason only... to sell magazines.  It was chosen for shock value.  An attractive mom is feeding a fairly mature 3 year old dressed in play clothes suitable for a school classroom.  They're both looking at the camera as if to say "Yeah... what're ya gonna do about it?"

I have no idea why all this is a controversy.  Breastfeeding is normal and healthy.  There is absolutely nothing sexual about the practice.  This "controversy" makes about as much sense as arguing whether one should use a public restroom to relieve their bladder.

Let's just let it go.  We have much more important things to worry about.  If I want to look at undressed women, there are better options than Time Magazine.  Personally, the only woman who interests me is my wife.

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure there's no controversy with breast feeding itself, the controversy is the fact that that kid is like 4. There reaches a stage, I'd say when the kid can form fully coherent sentences, that breast feeding becomes kind of weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I say I support it until the child is weaned. Beyond that it's pretty bizarre.

      BTW: Breastfeeding in general is coming back but it used to be highly controversial. Breastfeeding in public still is.

      Delete
  2. I was just thinking about this article again. I find that I'm offended by it...

    This magazine cover and its headline seems to imply that any woman who chooses NOT to breastfeed is not a real woman!

    I believe choosing whether to nurse or to bottle feed is a personal decision that does not in any way reflect on a woman's capability or commitment to her child.

    ReplyDelete

Bookmark This Site

Eventually, I'd like to move this blog to it's own domain.