Monday, April 30, 2012

Self-Righteous Ignorance







"Nothing Threatens Freedom so much as Self-Righteous Ignorance." 


William Ralph Inge said "Originality is undetected plagiarism".  So far, the above quote is still original.  It's one of the few things I can claim to be my own.  I use it as a reminder to avoid self-righteousness.  It's way too easy to use self-righteousness as a justification for controlling people.  If my views are the only ones that are valid, then it is okay to make laws restricting or compelling people to do what I believe is right.


I use this as a litmus test for all laws and regulations.  If Congress passes a law, I ask myself, what is the intent?  Is it a valid intent?  Is it controversial?  What is the controversy?  Is the law based on arbitrary morality?  Can it be supported through empiric data or a priori reasoning?  What is the justification for limiting freedom?  Can it be justified?


What other information do I need?  I have observed many people adhering to strong positions in controversy, but when questioned, found them to be largely ignorant of the issue in general.  I saw this at the Occupy Boston protest last fall.  Many of the participants appeared to be far more interested in the protest than in the issues being debated.  Many appeared to have very little understanding of macro-economics.  But all of them seemed to have strong opinions about what should be done.


If I assume I am right without becoming fully educated, I risk acting immorally or unethically through my ignorance.  Even when I become educated on the subject, I need to be aware that there is probably data I haven't considered.  I need to be ready to change my views based on new data.  Assuming it's possible that all my beliefs are wrong allows me to be receptive to new information and to grow in knowledge and wisdom.


This blog is all about the idea of accepting that I may be wrong.  By posting on controversial topics, I hope to receive feedback and comments that will allow my readers and me to increase our understanding of the controversies and to grow in knowledge and wisdom.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark This Site

Eventually, I'd like to move this blog to it's own domain.